Accessibility Skip to main content


Food safety advice and guidance for childminders that provide food as part of their service.

If you are starting a childminding business and you provide food, you need to register with us.

If you handle food you should have had training. The best course is the Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety in Catering.

You must have records of your food safety management. The Food Standards Agency has made a pack to help. It's called Safer food, better business for childminders. It has simple advice on food safety including:

  • help with feeding babies and children
  • looking after a child with a food allergy
  • cooking
  • cleaning
  • chilling