We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.
We work out your annual business rates bill by multiplying the rateable value of the property by the multiplier.
The rateable value is set by the Valuation Office and is an based on the annual rental value, size of the premises and, depending on the nature of the business, either the location or income:
- From 1 April 2017, rateable values will be based on the valuation date of 1 April 2015
- Until 31 March 2017, rateable values will be based on a valuation date of 1 April 2008
You can check your property's rateable value with the Valuation Office Agency Opens in a new window Rateable values are normally reassessed every five years, the next one will be on 1 April 2021
The multiplier is set by central government each financial year and normally changes in line with inflation.
There are two multipliers, the standard multiplier and the small business rate multiplier. The standard rate is used for all businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or more and unoccupied (void) businesses, the small business rate is for all occupied businesses with a rateable value of under £51,000.
- Small business rate multiplier: 49.9p
- Standard rate multiplier: 51.2p
- Small business rate multiplier: 49.1p
- Standard rate multiplier: 50.4p
Small business rates supplement
If the property is occupied and has a rateable value of £51,000 or more there will be a small business rates supplement. This is calculated using the rateable value multiplied by the difference between the two multipliers.
Revaluations can result in large increases or decreases in business rates bills. Transitional adjustment helps reduce the impact by phasing in these changes over a period of time. If a transitional adjustment applies to your rates bill, it will be applied automatically.
Contact Business Rates
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses