If a property is partly occupied we have the discretion, in certain cases, to award relief for the unoccupied part.

If we decide relief can be awarded we will ask the Valuation Office Agency Opens in a new window (VOA) to apportion the rateable value between the occupied and unoccupied parts. They will then issue a certificate (Section 44a) and we will send out a reduced bill.

If you think you may qualify please send us a detailed plan of the property clearly showing the measured occupied and unoccupied parts.