Accessibility Skip to main content

Get help to adapt your home

How to apply for a disabled facilities grant to make changes to your home so you can live independently.

If you or someone you live with has a disability you may need to make changes to your home. They can make it safer and easier to move around and do everyday tasks. Home adaptations can help you to:

  • enter and leave your home
  • move around your home
  • wash, bathe and use the toilet
  • use living and sleeping areas
  • use food preparation and cooking areas
  • access some of the garden
  • reduce risks in your home related to your impairment
  • make it easier for your carers to look after you

If you think adaptations to your home could help you we can offer:

  • advice and information
  • minor adaptations such as handrails that we can install to make your home safer and easier to use
  • equipment such as bath seats and bath lifts
  • stairlifts and through-floor lifts
  • ramps, rails, and platform lifts
  • door widening for wheelchair access
  • lower-level units in kitchens
  • level access showers and other bathroom alterations such as raising your toilet
  • major adaptations such as ramps, stairlifts and showers

We will only do major adaptations if they will create a significant improvement in the quality of day to day living for you or your carer.

Who can we help

We may be able to help any vulnerable adult in need of home adaptations. This may include:

  • where you find it difficult or can't carry out activities that matter to you within your own home
  • there is a risk of physical injury to you or your carer
  • if you are terminally ill

Cost of home adaptations

The cost will vary depending on the adaptation that you need. We will talk to you about this after your assessment.

Get an assessment

Before you can adapt your home you'll need an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT). To arrange an assessment call Customer Services on 01803 219700.


AdaptMyHome allows you to check how well your home supports your needs, and whether you could benefit from some adaptations to help you stay safe and independent.

Take a home self-assessment

How to help yourself

Some people prefer to arrange and pay for adaptations themselves rather than wait for funding from us.

If you're looking for ideas to adapt your home yourself you can get help at:

Disabled facilities grant

You may be able to get a disabled facilities grant to help you make changes to your home. This will depend on your income and the amount of savings you have.

As the grant is means tested you will need to be able to prove your:

  • income
  • household savings
  • investments

There is a waiting list and we prioritise grants to those who need them the most. Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work.


If your application is unsuccessful and you are unhappy with the decision you can appeal.

If you appeal and you’re still not happy, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.