Accessibility Skip to main content

Supported living

Find out about housing with different levels of care and support to help people live independently.

Supported Living enables anyone over the age of 18 to live independently. This may be in your own home or in shared accommodation. This is regardless of ability and you will get the right level of support.

The aim is to give you the choice and control to be as independent as possible. This is so you can be part of a community in which you actively contribute and take part in. You can learn new skills, access services in the community and make new friends.

Supported living can help with the following:

  • managing bills and money
  • cooking and healthy eating
  • getting a job
  • shopping
  • learning new skills for independence
  • personal care and wellbeing
  • managing medication
  • accessing employment, sports and social activities

Who can live in supported living

Supported living is for adults with care and support needs. This includes those with:

  • a learning disability
  • physical disabilities
  • autism
  • mental health needs

How to apply for supported living

It is important to consider the right housing option for you and your needs.

If you think it might be a good option for you, you should start by discussing this with your Social worker.

If you don’t have a social worker, you will need to make an adult social care referral. You can then get advice and request an assessment. To do this please call our customer service number on 01803 217900.

We manage the vacancies in supported living. We want to ensure we match people to accommodation that meets their care and support needs. We will place you on a waiting list if we are unable to find the right accommodation. You have choice and control over where you live. We will support you to find the best solution.

Who provides the care

We have 27 providers who we work with to deliver supported living. We give priority placement to providers who are on our supported living framework. We measure provider quality and performance regularly.

The cost

You will sign a tenancy agreement or similar when you move into supported living. The social work team will be able to explain how this works for each location. Some clients may need support to do this.

You must pay all living costs. This includes rent, council tax, utility bills and food. Utility bills include heating and lighting.

We will talk to you about furnishing the home. We will work out with you whether you need to buy essential kitchen equipment. This might not be applicable in all settings.

What you pay towards your housing will depend on your circumstances. Many people are eligible for benefits to help pay for costs. The housing provider will help you with claiming benefits.

You may have to pay for the care element of supported living. This will vary depending on your financial circumstances.

Complaints or comments about your supported living setting

Discuss any issue relating to your housing or care with your provider in the first instance.

If you're still not happy:

There are other housing options available.