If you want to sell alcohol, have regulated entertainment or late night refreshment and don't hold a premises licence or club premises certificate you can apply for a Temporary Event Notices (TEN) which gives you temporary permission to carry out these licensable activities.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between your event and the start or finish of another TEN. Premises are limited to a maximum total duration of the periods covered by temporary event notices of 21 days per calendar year or 12 TENs per Calendar year.

You must be 18 years or older to make an application for a TEN. If you do hold a personal licence you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year of which 10 can be late TENs, a non-personal licence holder on the other hand can only give a maximum of five TENs per year of which 2 can be late TENs. There is a limitation to the maximum number of TENs per premises.


We must receive notice at least ten working days before the event (please note that ten working days starts from the day after the notice is received by us and does not include the day of the event).

  Apply for a temporary event notice Opens in a new window

If you make an application online, you are not required to send a copy of the application to the Responsible Authorities, we will do this for you. 

Paper applications

You can also apply for a new licence by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a temporary event notice application

If you submit a paper notice you must also send a copy of your notice to the Police. The notice must be received by them no later than ten working days before the event period (please note that ten working days starts on the day after receipt of the notice and does not include the day of the event).

List of Responsible Authorities
Contact details of the authorities that require notices to be sent to them following applications.


A fee of £21 is payable with each notice.

This fee covers the cost of processing the Notice. If the application is withdrawn, invalid or is issued a counter notice, this fee is non refundable.

In relation to a standard Temporary Event Notice, if a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing to consider the objection. This must be done 24 hours before the beginning of the planned event period specified.

In relation to a Late Temporary Event Notice, if a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice, there is no hearing. This means that the licensable activities that have been requested on the Temporary Event Notice cannot take place.

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day following the day it was received, or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

The Police and Environmental Health Department, as responsible authorities may oppose a TEN if there are concerns that the event may not promote the licensing objectives. They are given three working days in which to do so. We must hold a hearing if an objected notice is served on it by one of these responsible authorities. We may issue a counter notice to the Temporary Event Notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives.

In the case of a Late Notice, if an objection is received from the other responsible authorities, namely the Police and Environmental Health the event would be refused.

We will issue a counter notices if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.