Where no suitable funeral arrangements have been made or are being made for a deceased person who has died in the Torbay area, we may have a duty to help out. Where possible expenses will be recovered from the estate of the deceased.

If the death occurred in hospital

The Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust Opens in a new window will arrange for the funeral of any person who died in or whilst travelling to hospital

Who Pays for the Funeral?

If possible the cost of the funeral is met out of the estate of the deceased, or from a spouse or a parent. If details of family and friends are found they will be informed of the death and invited to make the funeral arrangements. If it is not possible to contact a spouse or a parent the cost will be met by us.

Property and Personal Effects

If the deceased left furniture or other personal effects arrangements will be made for the disposal of these items and any money recovered offset against the cost of the funeral.

When all costs are known and the value of the estate exceeds this, the Treasury Solicitor is informed.

How can I obtain the date and place of birth of the deceased?

This information can be found on the death certificate of the deceased. Certificates can be obtained from Paignton Library.

Why have you not disclosed the value of the deceased's estate?

This information will not be published by us, nor is it published by the Treasury Solicitor. This is to reduce the risk of fraudulent claims being made against the estate.

Those individuals who believe they are an entitled relative can make a claim on the estate or find out more information from the Bona Vacantia Opens in a new window website.

  Claim or refer an unclaimed estate Opens in a new window