The way we all register to vote has changed
The registration system changed in June 2014. The new system is called ‘Individual Electoral Registration’.
How is the new system different?
- You can now register online at GovUK: Individual Electoral Registration
- Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the ‘head of every household’ could register everyone who lived at their address.
- You need to provide a few more details to register – including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.
How do I register under the new system?
- Go to GovUK: Individual Electoral Registration
- Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
- Look out for a confirmation to say you’re registered.
- Electoral Registration Enquiries
- Tel: 01803 208008
- Fax: 01803 207112