Larger shops in Torbay must tell us their opening hours if they intend to trade on a Sunday.
Following the introduction of the Sunday Trading Act in 1994 there have been no restrictions on shopping hours - apart from Sundays. All shops are now able to open without restrictions between Monday and Saturday.
Restrictions on opening times on Sundays are now confined to large shops (defined under the Act as those having an internal sales area of over 280sq.m). The critical consideration is the floor area definition, which is clarified as meaning the part of the shop within a building that is used for display of goods and customer services.
Large shops must:
- be registered with us for trading on a Sunday, and
- specify the six hours of trading on a Sunday which must be between the hours of 10.00 to 18.00, and
- provide a sign visible both internally and externally specifying the times of trading
They are required to remain closed on Easter Sunday (and on Christmas Day when it falls on a Sunday).
We keep a public register of the large shops operating in its area, which can be viewed on request.
Small shops are not covered by these restrictions and can open freely. The Sunday Trading Act 1994 also includes specific measures to protect the rights of shop workers who do not wish to work on Sunday.
Apart from the restrictions mentioned above, it is left to individual owners to determine their opening hours in the light of customer demand.
In order to apply for a Sunday trading registration, traders need to contact the department on the below contact details and provide details of the shop and your intended opening hours on a Sunday. Please note that if your shop is smaller than 280sq.m, then an application is not required.
Once your application has been accepted, we will arrange for your registration to be entered on the register.
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses