From April 2016 it becomes law Opens in a new window that all dogs over the age of 8 weeks must be microchipped.
As a dog owner
- You must make sure your dog is microchipped. This is in addition to making sure the dog wears a collar and ID tag with up to date contact details.
- The legislation states you must make sure that you keep the microchip company’s database updated with current contact details.
- There are responsibilities for you if you breed dogs.
As a professional
- Only individuals authorised by a qualified vet may implant microchips.
- If veterinary surgeries are supplying information to a microchip company, it must be complete and up to date.
- Companies that hold microchip databases must make sure they meet certain criteria and update their records when notified of changes.
If any of the above are not complied with, it is an offence and as such may carry a fine.