If you are a resident who is falling behind on Council Tax payments, please get in touch with us if you need support with paying.

We are also asking you to bear with us because there is a large volume of enquiries coming through about this issue, and to please use our website where possible.

This month alone we have had to send a court summons to nearly 6,000 residents, a final notice to around 4,700 residents and a first reminder to around 2,000 residents. People will get three letters in total including a court summons if they fail to pay.

Councillor Darren Cowell, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Finance for Torbay Council said: “We know this has been an exceptionally hard year for a lot of people due to the pandemic and there has been a break in our usual collection processes. Funding from Council Tax is essential to fund not only your local Council services but also those of police and fire services as well.

“So we do need everyone to pay their way in order to be able to maintain local services, but we understand that some people will be struggling, particularly this year. If this is you, and you are getting behind on your Council Tax payments, please get in touch with us, ideally via our website, to find out what support is available to you at this difficult time.

“Although we have written out to all those whose payments are overdue if you are not sure I would also advise you to check this out online.”

If you have an enquiry about your Council Tax bill you can contact us online.

If you are not sure whether you owe Council Tax or when your payments are due, you can check your account online.

You can request to pay your Council Tax weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments and spread payments over 12 months – however, please note that if you have received a final notice or a summons it will not be possible to change the payment details on your account.

All Council Tax for the year 2020-21 must be paid by 31 March 2021. If you do not think you will be able to clear Council Tax payments by 31 March, you should complete a Financial Assessment Form online

More information if you are getting into arrears is available on the behind with my payments pages. 

News archive