Stoodley Knowle was originally a parcel of land belonging to the diocese of Exeter. In the 1860’s a patchwork of brick drainage culverts were built under the marshland adjacent to the hillside to assist with drainage. This meadow subsequently became pasture to fatten cattle for the butcher in Wellswood. In the 1920’s a catholic school was created on the Knowle itself and post-war the meadow was seeded with hard wearing rye grass and clover to enable the installation of two football pitches and a cricket wicket for public use.
In 2012 one of the culverts collapsed whilst being mown by contractors, and the site was left unattended throughout 2013. 'Friends of Stoodley Knowle' was formed in June 2014 to create a managed wildflower meadow from the now redundant football pitches on the 4.6 acre site.
Over several seasons the meadow has been seeded with 7 kilos of mixed wildflower seed (80% perennial and 20% annual) and plugs of Tansy, Clary, Bettony and Toadflax.
- small children’s play park
- seasonal café open between April and October
- accessible toilets
- baby change
- pay and display parking is available at the Anstey's Cove end of the meadow
AddressIlsham Road, Torquay, TQ1 2J