As we enter 2021 we would like to wish you all a Happy New Year. 2020 has been an eventful 12 months with plenty of challenges. Let’s hope that this year heralds the start of new beginnings and hope for the future.
There are lots to look forward to. A new Covid vaccine is being rolled out and with it the promise of controlling the virus. We are also driving forward plans to improve our economy and place with local communities.
- Watch our video featuring Covid safe Torbay businesses
- Find out how to recycle your festive waste
- Sign up to ‘One Torbay weekly e-news
- Request the feature in another format
Our Town Centres
As a Council, we are committed to building a sustainable local economy that thrives for future generations. We live in one of the UK’s most beautiful destinations with established areas of economic success, but we need to grow and create more high-quality jobs and opportunities for local people.
We have been successful in securing a Town Deal, which will unlock almost £22 million from Government, to bring about significant change in Torquay. Torquay Pavilion, the Torquay harbour area, a new railway station at Edginswell and regeneration in key locations in the town centre are some of the places which will benefit.
This comes on top of the huge amount of public and private investment being ploughed into Paignton along with a £19m Future High Street funding bid. If successful this will support transformational projects in Paignton, including the redevelopment of Crossways and Victoria Centre. Thank you to everyone involved for making this happen.
Reopening the High Streets Safely
The New Year sales are in full swing and it’s the perfect opportunity to support local businesses who’ve been badly hit by the Covid pandemic. If you are heading out to bag yourself a bargain then please stay safe. Remember hands, face and space.
Along with TDA, we’re also helping retailers and other businesses in Torbay to operate in a COVID-Secure way. We filmed a video when the bay was full of sunshine, and we think it highlights what's great about spending time in our High Streets. Watch the video on YouTube
Out with the old, in with the new
Have you still got lots of recycling after the Christmas festivities? Here are some tips and information:
- Flatten all cardboard packaging and remember you cannot recycle cards with glitter.
- Recycle empty chocolate and sweet tubs or tins.
- Take your old clothes to a clothing bank or local charity shop.
- Put glass and paper in your household recycling.
- Take a range of items to Paignton’s Recycling Centre in Tor Park Road. Please note there will be charges for some items from 4 January.
- Details of how you can shred your real Christmas trees can be found on our website.
For more information visit the recycling page or call 01803 701316.