Agenda and minutes

Contact: Lorraine Stewart  Email:

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 358 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 14th June 2021.


All agreed that the minutes were an accurate record of the last meeting.


Matters Arising


Covered in the agenda.




KM provided a budget update. KM updated that at a recent Torbay Council meeting a decision was made to transfer £150,000 into the Oldway reserve which was used in previous years.


Trust Update


DC updated that Paul Hawthorne has been working on applying for funding for the trust. KM & PH both met with the World Monument Watch to look to adding Oldway Mansion to the register to assist with funding. A decision will be made in October.


DC advised that he has recently written to David Clark at DCA for an update to assist with submitting the application for HLF Resilience Funding but has received no response. KM will try to chase DCA for an update – ACTION – KM/LS


DC updated that PH is also waiting for DCA for assistance with applying for Architectural Heritage Fund.


The MoU for Oldway is nearly ready and just waiting for final agreement with Torbay Council.


CR updated that he would like to discuss the gardens volunteering group with TE for assistance with Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust. IB commented that it would be a good idea to look for learning opportunities from TCCT and if possible contacting Sue Barker who previously worked with them to see if she can provide any guidance.


CM asked if there was any update on the expansion of Trustees for the Trust as there has been no advertisements made to look for additional Trustees. DC advised that he will look to discuss this at the next Trustees meeting to progress this further – ACTION - DC



Friends of Oldway Group update


DC advised that he is aware of some issues being experienced with the number of volunteers working at the tea rooms having to self-isolate which has resulted in the tea rooms not being able to be opened. The tea rooms are becoming very popular which is very positive.


There have been some issues with vandalism taking place at the tea rooms including damage to the outside wooden tables, some girls who damaged the modem which resulted in payments not being able to be taken the following day and young boys playing football outside and kicking the ball into the glass windows.


The post box has now been fitted to enable post to be delivered for the tea rooms.


DC asked about KH being able to access the room next to the tea rooms to assist with accessing the post box and also that can be used as an office by KH. KM advised that KH should contact himself or LS to discuss any issues being experienced or if there are any decisions needed to be made.


KH advised that she has been having conversations with a tennis coach who is currently based at Totnes who is interested in using the tennis courts at the weekend and involving local schools in using the tennis courts within the week. KM advised that there was a previous enquiry that was referred to the TDA and will need to get an update from the TDA as to whether that enquiry is still live. KM asked KH to send an email with the details of the new enquiry to himself and LS. ACTION – KH


KH updated that she has been speaking to people who use the tennis courts and who come into the tea rooms, who advise that they would be happy to pay to use the tennis courts if a charge is made as long as it is not too expensive and if the courts are lit in the winter. DC advised he is aware that Phil Black has been having conversations with Local Tennis Association to look at funding to update the facility at Oldway.


KH asked KM if it was possible to fix the outside lighting on the colonnade – KM advised that he will discuss with officers to progress this – ACTION - KM

KM updated that she is hopeful that the auctioneers event will take place outside in the grounds on 4th September.


KM asked that he is kept updated on the tours that are taking place in the building so as to ensure that we are compliant with the insurance and a log is kept – KH advised that she emails the TDA to update but will ensure that KM & LS are notified. ACTION – KH


KH updated that there are two schoolgirls starting to volunteer for their Duke of Edinburgh award this week.


KH advised that she has been contacted by a yoga instructor again who would like to carry out yoga free in the grounds  ...  view the full minutes text for item 289.


Oldway Gardens Group Update


TE provided an update and advised that the volunteer works is progressing well in the gardens.


TE advised that there has been a request made for an open day to be held for fundraising towards Oldway, displaying the sewing machines in the gardens. TE will provide further details for clarification.


There is a query regarding disposing of asbestos sheeting and some gates at Oldway – KM advised that he and LS will look into this to see if there have been any emails – ACTION – KM/LS


TE updated that the Britain in Bloom judging went very well and the results of the judging will be announced in October.





KH asked if the issue had been resolved with the TDA about being called out at weekends for any issues like the recent issue with opened doors that blew open and were left open all weekend. YB updated that an agreement is being worked on for the TDA with regards to any issues that are experienced out of hours. 


KM updated the group that an enquiry has been received by Public Health to store two modified  shipping containers of PPE and testing kits at Oldway for a temporary basis of around 6 months. KM would ensure that a communication is issued to update the public with regards to the containers being stored. KH advised her concerns would be that people could use them to climb on to gain access to the building. KM advised that he is aware of this and would ensure they are not stored near to any walls. YB commented that the containers being located in the grounds would help to increase footfall to the grounds and could help to deter ASB.


MJ asked for an update on the notice board that would be going up. KH advised that she has been experiencing some issues with Planning permission as has been advised she needs to apply for listed building consent and building regulations. She has asked the trustees to progress the planning applications. KM advised that he and LS will chase this up – ACTION – KM/LS