Agenda and minutes

Venue: Teams - Virtual. View directions

Contact: Lorraine Stewart  Email:

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 339 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 12 June 2023


The minutes of the previous meeting held on 12 June 2023 were confirmed as an accurate record of the meeting.


Project Directors Update Report pdf icon PDF 224 KB

Additional documents:


AD presented the report today on behalf of Katherine Findley. 


AD asked TE if the lease arrangements for the Gardens Group have progressed further.  TE confirmed that yes they are progressing and he is currently trying to contact Alex Bolton in TDA to confirm and is awaiting a response.  TE still unsure if a lease is required or if it would be best to be a memorandum of understanding.   AD confirmed that he will chase this up with colleagues from TDA.  ACTION – AD to chase with colleagues at TDA regarding progress and respond to TE with an update.


DT asked if the Tearooms have had their lease resolved.  IB commented and advised that there is a solicitor taking this forward on the tearooms behalf and liaising with TDA.  ACTION – AD to clarify if it is best for lease or MOU arrangements for the volunteer groups and to provide a reply to both volunteer groups.


AD is looking to identify a single point of contact for any Oldway queries within Torbay Council or TDA. 


The Council will be considering submitting an application for Levelling up round 3 if there are future funding opportunities available. 


Unsure if the process would be a bidding process or on an applications basis.  DLUHC officials have indicated that the probability is that Levelling Up round 3 will be an allocation.


DT highlighted within the report an example which is Haigh Hall which is of similarity to Oldway. 



Summary of Public Consultation findings


AD explained that there has been various type of consultation methods use including with 6 key stakeholders, officers, different organisations of the industry, councillors and different stakeholders within Paignton and general public.  There were 1800 responses received to the consultation. 


A further report will be drafted by LDA Design and they will be using the consultation to update the previous drafted masterplan. 


The public consultation findings report will be sent by AD to the Working group members for their information within around a week time.  ACTION – AD


TE raised that there a lot of weeds growing round the building in the area which is fenced off and asked if this could be tidied up as it is being commented on by members of public when they are visiting the gardens.  DB commented that where it is safe to do so the FM team are visiting the site and carrying out removal of vegetation.  He will highlight this to FM colleagues for their awareness and ask for them to liaise with TE.  ACTION – DB



Next steps


Within the Project Directors report it is detailed as to the report deadline for the master plan to be taken to a future Cabinet meeting.


AD explained that Torbay Council has been approached by an operator who believe that they can make the Rotunda into a family activity centre.  Torbay Council will be meeting with the operator within the next week to discuss the seriousness of their approach and then will be reviewed as to whether this is an opportunity that can be explored further. 



Any other business


IB raised that she walked round the back of the mansion and there is a window that looks like it is ready to fall down.  It is located on the rear of the building.  AD commented that we aware of this issue.  DB commented that he has been liaising with structural engineers and the Planning department as to a plan to remedy this issue. 


DB also advised that the FM team have started to introduce fencing at the rear of the rotunda which will help to deter intruders gaining access.


IB also highlighted to DB that there has been further water ingress into the tearooms.  DB explained that there was a building surveyor on site looking at the roof with a surveyor and has asked that the tearooms water ingress is looked into.