Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Board Room - Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Lorraine Stewart  Tel: (01803) 292429, Email:  lorraine.stewart@torbay.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

225.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 214 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 20th January 2020

Minutes:

TE asked for amendment to be made to page 4 - point 217 - to remove ‘become a new tea hut’. ACTION - LS

226.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

To consider passing a resolution to exclude the press and public from the meeting prior to consideration of the following item on the agenda on the grounds that exempt information (as defined in Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) is likely to be disclosed.

Minutes:

Not applicable

227.

Matters Arising

·         Parking proposal

·         Friends of Oldway AGM

·         Easter Target for Open days

·         Toilet/Spring clean

 

Minutes:

Parking Proposal - KM advised that the parking proposal is not being progressed any further at present.

 

Friends of Oldway AGM target date - PH advised that the original proposed date of 14th March is too soon and the new proposed date is 28th March. DC commented that arrangements will need to be made to gain access etc. KM asked for ideas of numbers for the AGM to confirm maximum capacity - Kathy advised she believes 120 people. She agreed to create the event as a ticket only event through Eventbrite which needs to be registered for. KM will confirm if this number is acceptable through Torbay Council’s Health and Safety team and try to arrange chairs for the event. KM stated that a Method Statement and Risk Assessment will need to be provided for each event, along with similar documents to cover general access to key holders. KM confirmed that he needs a formal request from the Oldway Trust to become key holders. They will need to put forward their proposal in terms of how and when they wish to access the building, along with the required paperwork, Method Statement and Risk Assessment. Once this has been received and approved by Council officers, and insurance issues cleared, the keys can be handed over. The key holders will need some basic training for the alarm systems and volunteers will need training as Event Marshalls. Council officers can assist.

 

 

Easter Target date for Open Days – it was agreed that the Open Days will be organised through the Friends of Oldway and the Paignton Civic Society. Antony Hill commented that he can also assist as he helped David Watts for the previously proposed open day.

 

Toilet/Spring Clean - TDA have advised that they can carry out the necessary legionella checks as and when required.

 

228.

Oldway Gardens Group update

Minutes:

TE provided a brief update of recent work being carried out. The Probation Team have been assisting on a Wednesday in the gardens. There are further various scheduled working parties who would like to assist in the future when the weather improves.

 

TE advised that currently the group has collected £900 in donations.

 

The group will be planting a memorial Oak tree in memory of David Watts.

 

TE asked if the fencing can be removed from around the grotto now that it has been secured - KM will speak to Neil Coish for confirmation.

 

TE commented that the pathways around the gardens need to be gravelled as they are currently not in very good condition and are very muddy - TE has asked for some costings from local businesses. KM advised that TE needs to speak to Neil Coish in Natural Environment for advice to ensure that the listed gardens status is not affected. PH commented it would be good to take some advice from Devon Gardens Trust.

 

Sustainable planting will commence in around 3 weeks dependant on weather.

 

TOR2 have visited Oldway and filled in a lot of the pot holes that were in the car park.

 

TE is hoping to start coach trips for visitors to the gardens from May onwards. It was discussed that it would be a good idea to contact local tour operators to see if there is interest in tours.

 

TE advised that the Tea Hut is registered and should be opened from 26th March.

 

TE advised that Oldway Gardens will be submitted for a Britain in Bloom awards

 

DC commented that there is now a Crowdfunding Torbay system set up and applications can made for small scale funding support.

 

229.

Trust Position Update

Minutes:

PH advised that the Trust have met with KM & DC to agree a joint application with Torbay Council for HLF Resilience Funding.

 

JT commented that he still believes the Trustees should have training to ensure they are aware of the responsibilities that they have as trustees.

 

DC advised that he believes that a structure chart needs to be created which shows the strategic levels and day to day organising and responsibilities. DC has asked Tracey Cabache from Community Partnerships to draft a copy. Kathy from the Friends group advised that she received a copy of a draft structure chart from Neil at DCA which she can provide.

 

230.

DCA Update

Minutes:

Covered as above.

 

231.

Any other business

Minutes:

Security issues - KM advised that he is aware of an issue that happened this weekend with a broken window. KM has investigated what happened and how the Council/TDA/TOR2 responded. New procedures have now been agreed for volunteers to follow should there be any future issues. KM is also aware that there are issues with groups of young people congregating at Oldway, which involves drinking and drug taking which has been reported to the Police and Community Safety Department.

 

The next meeting was confirmed as 20th April 2020 and then to continue on as every other month instead of monthly. Any issues arising between meetings can be emailed to LS for KM’s attention. All correspondence for the proposed AGM and Open Days to be sent to LS by email.