Agenda and draft minutes

Contact: Lorraine Stewart  Tel: (01803) 292429, Email:

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 135 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 29th July 2019


All agreed was an accurate record of the meeting held on 29th July 2019.


Welcome David Watts and Tim Eley as new members of the Working Party


DC welcomed DW and TE to the meeting and thanked them for joining the Working Party.



Exclusion of the Press and Public

To consider passing a resolution to exclude the press and public from the meeting prior to consideration of the following item on the agenda on the grounds that exempt information (as defined in Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) is likely to be disclosed.


Not applicable         


Matters Arising

o   Security Contract

o   Oldway Grounds and Gardens

o   Funding applications

o   Visit to Insole Court



Security Contract - KM advised that the existing security contract will remain active until the date of the new CCTV installation is known.


Oldway Grounds and Gardens – KM advised that the Tor2 grounds maintenance contract has now been ended.  There was an issue with emptying of the waste bins in the gardens immediately after the contract ended however this has since been resolved.


There is still an issue with Kier/Tor2 with regards to the application of TUPE in respect of the gardeners who worked at Oldway and this has not yet been resolved.  Until this matter is resolved, the agreement for the volunteers to start at Oldway cannot be implemented. 


Funding applications – to be discussed later


Visit to Insole Court – LS has contacted Neil Richardson from DCA and he is going to contact the Manager and Trustee’s at Insole Court to arrange some dates. 



Budget Update


KM issued the latest budget update for discussion. 


KM advised that he will be have ready for the next meeting a predicted budget for new financial year starting 1st April 2020.  ACTION – KM/LS



Enabling Development/Trust Position/DCA Update


DC advised that he and KM had a discussion with DCA just prior to the meeting.  There are 3 potential funding opportunities that can be applied for, either by the Council or the Oldway Trust.  KM and DC have both discussed with DCA the proposal to apply to the Heritage Horizons Fund for up to £15m and the Expression of Interest for this fund needs to be submitted by 11th October 2019. DC has spoken to DCA with regards to this and they are confident they would be able to meet the deadline.  If the decision is not to apply for the Heritage Horizons Fund and to apply for HLF funding then this would not be able to be applied for until next year due to the application already submitted by the Council for Torre Abbey.  DC advised that he has had a recent conversation with Historic England with regards to Oldway and they still have an ongoing interest in the buildings.  If the Working Party support the application for Heritage Horizons funding then DC advised that the process to form the Oldway Trust will be started immediately. 


Enabling development was discussed and MG advised that DCA had previously advised not to pursue enabling development as this could affect the funding opportunities. DC advised that the grounds at Oldway are also a designated green space so this would provide another challenge to enabling development but the stables and the rotunda remained an option. 


KM advised that it is possible to apply to Historic England for emergency repairs funding which can assist with the funding applications and also if the building is added to the Historic England Buildings at Risk Register then this can also assist with future funding. 


MG asked if the previous proposal with regards to opening up the café again to have part of the building being used again is still able to be pursued. KM advised that the first thing that needs to be arranged is the setting up of the Oldway Trust. Trustees need to be agreed and a Memorandum of Understanding signed.  KM asked the Working party for their comments on proposed Trustees and opinions on having a Councillor as a Trustee.  DW commented that he believes that the interim Trustees should be appointed as soon as possible to allow the Trust to be set up and then consultation can take place with the wider community to appoint further trustees with the appropriate skill sets. 


It was discussed that the three Trustees previously proposed - Paul Hawthorne, Chris Robson and Anna Tolchard, should be the initial trustees.  DC agreed that he is also happy to become a Trustee and/or to be the Council representative. 


CL and MG proposed and seconded the proposal that the Interim Director of Place should submit an application to the Heritage Horizons Fund with consultancy support from DCA.  All agreed. 


LG and CM proposed and seconded that the four Trustees discussed should go forward to set up the Oldway Trust.  All  ...  view the full minutes text for item 183.


Any Other Business

·         Historic England


Nothing to be discussed