Venue: The Forum, Riviera International Conference Centre, Chestnut Avenue, Torquay, TQ2 5LZ
Contact: June Gurry
Opening of meeting
The Worshipful The Mayor of Torbay opened the meeting with a minute’s silence as a mark of respect in memory of Sir David Amess, whose life was tragically cut short on 15 October 2021.
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Barrand, Steve Darling, Dart, Howgate, Kavanagh, Law, Barbara Lewis, Chris Lewis, O’Dwyer, Pentney and John Thomas.
To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 30 September 2021.
The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay proposed and Councillor Mandy Darling seconded a motion, which was agreed (unanimously) by the Council as set out below:
the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 29 September 2021 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay.
Declarations of interests
The following non-pecuniary interests were declared:
To consider a report on the application to form a new Neighbourhood Forum and Area for Broadsands, Churston and Galmpton.
The Council considered the submitted report on an application to create a new Neighbourhood Area and Forum comprising the villages of Broadsands, Churston and Galmpton and surrounding areas. It was noted the proposed new Neighbourhood Area consisted of all parts of the Brixham Peninsula Neighbourhood Plan Area which were not within the administrative boundaries of Brixham Town Council.
Councillor Morey proposed and Councillor Long seconded a motion, as set out below:
1. that a new Neighbourhood Area is created covering Broadsands, Churston and Galmpton;
2. that the area is amended in accordance with Option B, as set out in Appendix 2 of the submitted report, that amends the northern boundary of the proposed new Neighbourhood Area to be contiguous with the 2019 Ward Boundary amendments for Churston with Galmpton, to the east of Dartmouth Road (i.e. to exclude Saltern Road, which is now in Goodrington with Roselands Ward);
3. that the Broadsands Churston and Galmpton (BCG) Neighbourhood Forum be designated as the Neighbourhood Planning body (“Qualifying Body”) for the Neighbourhood Area approved in 1. and 2. above;
4. that, as a result of 1. above, Brixham Town Council becomes the Qualifying Body for the “parished” area of the town of Brixham only and no longer covers the remaining area of the previously approved Brixham Peninsula Area, with the amended boundary to the area approved, as shown in Appendix 2 of the submitted report, as “Furzeham with Summercombe” and “St Peter’s with St Mary’s”;
5. that, as a result of 2. above, the Paignton Neighbourhood Area be amended, as shown in Appendix 2 of the submitted report, to include the area of Saltern Road up to the boundary between the Goodrington with Roselands ward and the Churston and Galmpton ward;
6. that the Council request that the Forum’s Constitution be amended as follows:
i) to ensure that Forum executive committee members follow the same Code of Conduct as elected Torbay Council Members;
ii) to undertake to publish Minutes of forum meetings within a reasonable period; and
iii) that Section 7.1 of the Forum’s Constitution be amended to an absolute minimum of 8 members in attendance for quorum, with the amended text reading
“7.1 For Forum meetings held in public a quorum shall be an absolute minimum of 8 members or 5% of the membership where that would be higher, meeting together at a properly convened and constituted meeting or replying to a properly authorised circular to, or ballot of members.”; and
7. that the Council request for clarity that paragraph 3.1.1. of the Forum’s Constitution be amended to read: “To prepare the Neighbourhood Plan for the Broadsands, Churston and Galmpton Neighbourhood area and to decide how it will be monitored and reviewed, including frequency of review.”
During the debate Councillor David Thomas proposed and Councillor Hill seconded an amendment to the motion as follows:
that consideration of the submitted report be deferred to enable further discussion and to allow full debate of the Conservative Group’s concerns.
The amendment was put to ... view the full minutes text for item 243.
Contact Governance Support
- Brixham Town Council
- Budget digest
- Civic Mayor
- Councillors' allowances
- Councillors' behaviour, interests and standards
- Decision lists
- Forward plans
- Get involved and have your say
- How the Council works
- Independent remuneration panel
- Outside bodies
- Overview & Scrutiny
- Search documents
- Subscribe to updates
- What's new
- Your Councillors
- Your MEPs
- Your MPs
- Become a Councillor