If you are controlled physically, sexually, emotionally or by money or are abused by a partner, ex-partner or family member - this is not ok and there are lots of support services available to help.

During lockdown domestic abuse and sexual violence support services are still open and able to provide advice and information as usual. They are free, confidential and independent and you can access support regardless of whether or not you want to report a crime to the police. Calls to the police on 999 or 101 to report incidents of domestic abuse are always taken seriously and will be acted on accordingly. 

If you suspect that a neighbour or someone in your community is a victim of domestic abuse or sexual violence, we would encourage you to report this to the police. Signs to look out for include being withdrawn, having injuries they won’t explain, having money taken off them, not being allowed to leave home on their own and having their mobile phone or technology, including social media platforms, monitored.

Cabinet Member for Corporate and Community Services, Cllr Christine Carter, said: “Recent measures announced to tackle coronavirus (COVID-19), such as staying at home, can cause anxiety and other mental health challenges for those who have experienced domestic abuse or sexual violence, and worsen the suffering of those who are currently experiencing or feel at risk of domestic abuse and sexual violence.

“Sexual violence and abuse is unacceptable in any situation, and there is never any excuse for it. If you feel this is happening to you, or someone you know, I ask that you get in contact with the relevant services as soon as possible. They are there to help and can provide a range of support from giving advice to helping someone with the arrangements to leave their current situation, including contacting the Council’s Housing Options team to arrange emergency temporary accommodation if necessary.”

Whether you are a victim or a survivor, there are different ways you to access local and national services from phoning and emailing to live web chat and other online resources.

Call 999

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police – the police are continuing to respond to emergency calls. 

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, dial 999, listen to the questions from the operator and respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can. Then follow the instructions depending on whether you are calling from a mobile or a landline.

If you call from a mobile

If prompted, press 55 to Make Yourself Heard - this will transfer your call to the police. Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and does not allow police to track your location.

If you call 999 from a landline

If only background noise can be heard and BT operators cannot decide whether an emergency service is needed, then you will be connected to a police call handler.

If you replace the handset, the landline may remain connected for 45 seconds in case you pick up again. When 999 calls are made from landlines, information about your location should be automatically available to the call handlers to help provide a response.

Torbay Domestic Abuse Service

Support is confidential and non-judgemental, regardless of whether people wish to leave a relationship, stay or have left. Offers help to families and individuals from advice to safe accommodation.

Call freephone: 0800 916 1474

Email: T.DAS@sanctuary-housing.co.uk.cjsm.net

Website: www.sanctuary-supported-living.co.uk/find-services/domestic-abuse/devon/torbay-domestic-abuse-service-tdas 

Victim Care Unit

Run by Devon and Cornwall Police and funded by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.  Signposts to support services across Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. 

Access the 24/7 webchat facility run by Victim Support via the Victim Care Website:  www.victimcaredevonandcornwall.org.uk

Phone:  01392 475900

Email: victimservices@devonandcornwall.pnn.police.uk

Victim Support Line

Victim Support operates a 24/7 webchat Support Line offering emotional and practical support

Call freephone: 0300 303 0554 or out of hours 0808 168 9111

Website: www.victimsupport.org.uk – free live chat available and online resources

Devon Rape Crisis

Advice, help and support for anyone who has experienced sexual violence or abuse, no matter how long ago this happened.  The service supports anyone over the age of 13

Call: 01392 204174 or out of hours 0808 802 9999

Email: support @devonrapecrisis.org.uk

Website: wwwdevonrapecrisis.org.uk

For more information and a directory of local and national services go to http://www.areyouok.co.uk/




News archive