Venue: Zoom Meeting - Virtual (meeting joining details can be found on the agenda frontsheet or agenda reports pack). View directions
Contact: Amanda Coote
Creating and Developing Healthy and Sustainable Places and Communities
The Task and Finish Group received a presentation from the Director of Public Health on above policy area from the Marmot report. Members were advised that due to the recent Coronavirus pandemic, some elements of the presentation were even more evident now with some families’ experiencing higher levels of poverty and poor mental health wellbeing as a couple of examples. It was noted that the voluntary sector of Torbay had positively engaged with communities and the Council plus partner organisations were keen to harness and develop this positive working relationship. The presentation confirmed that Torbay Council’s mission was to be a Council that supports, enables and empowers its residents, communities and partnerships.
The presentation went on to outline the intended steps to develop healthy community’s what tools would be used and how the outcomes would be measured – the Board was supportive of the measures outlined. It was noted that during the pandemic most communications/announcements from the Council and partner organisations was done digitally and whilst that was an effective channel of communication, it didn’t suit all residents. Work would need to be undertaken to understand the most effective method to reach all residents in Torbay.
The Board agreed to support independent community initiatives by
• Working with the Community Development Trust and the Community Builders to enable community action.
• Working with partners to develop and implement a volunteer strategy for Torbay.
• Reviewing Torbay Council offers funding opportunities e.g. Community Enablement Fund and Crowdfunding.
• Seeking SLT Ward Ambassadors to support members.
• Reviewing Council policy to promote volunteering by officers.
Contact Governance Support
- Brixham Town Council
- Budget digest
- Civic Mayor
- Councillors' allowances
- Councillors' behaviour, interests and standards
- Decision lists
- Forward plans
- Get involved and have your say
- How the Council works
- Independent remuneration panel
- Outside bodies
- Overview & Scrutiny
- Search documents
- Subscribe to updates
- What's new
- Your Councillors
- Your MEPs
- Your MPs
- Become a Councillor