Venue: The Forum, Riviera International Conference Centre, Chestnut Avenue, Torquay, TQ2 5LZ
Contact: June Gurry
Opening of meeting
The meeting was opened with a prayer.
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Dart, Howgate, Johns, Pentney, Stockman, David Thomas and Jacqueline Thomas.
To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 3 March 2022.
The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay proposed and Councillor Mandy Darling seconded a motion, which was agreed (unanimously) by the Council as set out below:
that the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 3 March 2022 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay.
To receive any communications or announcements from the:
· Civic Mayor;
· Leader of the Council;
· Overview and Scrutiny Co-ordinator;
· the Council’s representative on the Heart of the South West Joint Committee; and
· Chief Executive.
The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay thanked all those who attended his Civic Ball which raised approximately £600 for his charity, the Disabled Sailing Association.
The Leader of the Council:
1. thanked members, officers and partners for their work and involvement with Children’s Services over recent years. He advised that Ofsted’s judgement on Torbay’s Children’s Services would be announced on 18 May 2022;
2. provided an update on the rates of Covid infections in care homes following the lifting of the Covid restrictions. The position was significantly better with six care homes reporting staff and residents with covid infections; and
3. advised the number of refugees from Ukraine arriving in Torbay had reached 198 and thanked those involved in the regular refugees’ welcome sessions and Upton Vale Church for providing refreshments. He added there were 19 refugee children who were integrating well in their new schools in Torbay.
The Chief Executive led a minute’s silence for Amanda Coote, an employee within the Democratic Services Team, who had sadly passed away.
Election of The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay
To elect The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay for the 2022/2023 Municipal Year.
Councillor Douglas-Dunbar proposed and Councillor Loxton seconded a motion, which was agreed (unanimously) by the Council as follows:
that Councillor Mandy Darling be elected The Worshipful The Mayor of Torbay for the Municipal Year 2022/2023.
(The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay, Councillor Mandy Darling, in the Chair)
The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay took the Declaration of Acceptance of Office and Oath of Allegiance and thanked the Council for the honour bestowed upon her.
The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay also announced that Mr William Darling would be her Escort during her term of office and her charities would be Guide Dogs Torbay Branch and The Doves Group. The Worshipful the Mayor of Torbay also advised that she had appointed Reverend Tim Smith to be her Chaplain.
Retiring Civic Mayor
Councillor Brown proposed and Councillor Amil seconded a motion, which was agreed (unanimously) by the Council as set out below:
that the Council express its sincere thanks and appreciation to Councillor Manning and Mrs Jan Manning for the manner in which they have carried out their duties during their term of office.
Election of Deputy Civic Mayor
To elect the Deputy Civic Mayor of the Council for the 2022/2023 Municipal Year.
Councillor Kennedy proposed and Councillor Dudley seconded a motion, which was agreed (unanimously) by the Council as follows:
that Councillor Brown be elected The Deputy Civic Mayor for the Municipal Year 2022/2023.
The Deputy Civic Mayor of the Council took the Declaration of Acceptance of Office and thanked the Council for the honour bestowed upon her.
The Deputy Civic Mayor also announced that Mr Trevor Brown would be her Escort during her term of office.
To consider adjourning the meeting until 5.30 pm on Tuesday, 17 May 2022 to deal with the remainder of the business as set out in the separate agenda.
At this juncture the meeting was adjourned until 5.30 pm on Tuesday 17 May 2022.
Contact Governance Support
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 207087
- Fax: 01803 207112
- Torbay Council
- Brixham Town Council
- Budget digest
- Civic Mayor
- Councillors' allowances
- Councillors' behaviour, interests and standards
- Decision lists
- Forward plans
- Get involved and have your say
- How the Council works
- Independent remuneration panel
- Outside bodies
- Overview & Scrutiny
- Search documents
- Subscribe to updates
- What's new
- Your Councillors
- Your MPs
- Become a Councillor