Sherwell Park was opened in 1930 after the site was purchased in 1928 for £4,000 from Devon Rosery and Fruit Farm Ltd. The park is situated in the heart of Chelston, less than two miles from Torquay town centre and one mile from Torquay sea front. Locally known as Pretty Park, the park provides a safe and clean environment in which to sit and relax or walk through to the local shops. The park is maintained to a high standard by our Natural Environment team and partnership organisations.
The park benefits from the dedication and enthusiasm of the strong Chelston Park Friends Group, who through local consultation and fund raising have helped, in liaison with Torbay Council, to regenerate the park in the last few years. The aim, successfully achieved was to encourage safe use of the park and reduce anti social behaviour. The park now provides a valuable piece of green space essential to the well being of the local community.
The main focal point is a stream which runs through the centre of the park. Recent improvements include new lighting, picnic benches, replacement planting, notice boards, interpretation signage, wildflower and bulb planting and resurfacing of part of the footpath network. The friends group are continually organising events and fund raising towards further park improvements such as the recently installed dragonfly surface.
- Playground with toddler and junior play