Kitson Park was created in early 1966. The sloping site was previously a derelict orchard.
Kitson Park was previously was part of the gardens to Shiphay Manor. In 1883 the 17th Century 'Shiphay Manor' needed so much repair that the decision was made to knock it down and build a new one. The Kitson family moved back into the rebuilt Shiphay Manor in November 1885.
The Council proposed that when the new adventure playground was completed it should be named in memory of the late Major R F Kitson, whose family has done so much for the district.
Kitson Park was formally opened in May 1966 by the Mayor of Torquay, Councillor Len S W Howard, who was also Mayor for a second term, this time for Torbay Council in 1979.
The park is a great place for children to play, as well as playground equipment, we along with a local children’s nursery, installed beds to grow vegetables.
- Playground with junior play
AddressCadewell Lane, Torquay, TQ2 7HP