- Playground with toddler and junior play
- Open green space
History of Cary Park
When you look at Cary Park today it is hard to imagine some of the events which have been staged there. In 1854 huge crowds attended the first Torquay horse race and there was a grandstand for the attending VIPs. A hazardous problem for the riders was a large pond, close to the church, and this became the downfall of many riders and they promptly fell in!
This flat field venue was ideal for large meetings and the West of England Agricultural Show was also staged there.
The main landmark is the prominent Parish Church of All Saints’ built 1868-1874 for the newly formed parish of Babbacombe to the designs of William Butterfield.
The park was provided to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The land was given by Robert S.S. Cary (hence its name) and was designed and constructed by the St Marychurch Local Board. Cary Park has been cared for and maintained by the Council since the demise of the St Marychurch Local Board. Cary Park, which gives its name to the conservation area, was laid out in the 1890s as a public park, become the focal point of development which took place largely between 1890 and 1915, but also with some inter-war infill – certainly later than that of St Marychurch itself. Robert Cary died in 1898 and the fountain in Cary Park was erected by his widow in 1903.
Cary Avenue and Cary Park were subsequently laid out in alignment with an earlier avenue of trees apparently designed to provide landscaped vistas towards the church.
AddressCary Park, Torquay, TQ1 3NQ