Abbey Meadows and Gardens is situated on Torquay Seafront. The meadow is a large open space used by all for events and picnics. The park itself is host to a range of activities, such as tennis and crazy golf; it also houses the Italian Gardens with its attractive pond with fountain and water rock garden. Renovation works have been undertaken throughout the last decade and it continues to be a well loved place enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.

Facilities

Torre Abbey was built in 1196 and has been important in Torquay’s history ever since. Its roles has included an abbey, a family home, art gallery and attraction - eight centuries of history have been absorbed into the very fabric of a building which is divided into 122 rooms, rambling over 20 different levels and with 265 steps.

Following Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries, the surviving buildings were bought by Cary family in 1662 and became a private house. Surrounded at that time by fields, the Abbey gradually changed in appearance during the 300 years of ownership by the family, and today bears all the hallmarks of a Georgian Mansion.

In July 1910 a memorable event graced this open space. From here Graham White made two flights in his Bi-plane over the combined Atlantic and Mediterranean Home fleets which had assembled in Torbay.

The Council, then known as Torquay County Council purchased the land in 1924 for £40,000, todays value would be £1,336,800.00. Abbey Park was developed with a large ornamental pond, tennis courts, putting greens and splendid Italian Gardens. The garden is a riot of colour in the summer and contributes greatly to the Bay's reputation as a quality resort. However, earlier this Century, before the gardens were laid out, Torre Abbey Meadows extended between The Kings Drive to Belgrave Road. Abbey Park was developed in two stages. The first to be finished were the tennis courts in 1921, they were the venue for a Davis Cup match in 1924.


AddressTorbay Road, Torquay, TQ2 5DG

Contact Natural Environment Services