Agenda and minutes

Venue: Harbour Meeting Room, Torquay Harbour Office, Beacon Quay, Torquay, TQ1 2BG - Harbour Meeting Room, Torquay Harbour Office, Beacon Quay, Torquay, TQ1 2BG. View directions

Contact: Lorraine Stewart  Tel: (01803) 292429, Email:

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 131 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 20th March 2019


LSy proposed and CC seconded that the minutes were an accurate record of the meeting held on 20th March 2019.


Exclusion of the Press and Public

To consider passing a resolution to exclude the press and public from the meeting prior to consideration of the following item on the agenda on the grounds that exempt information (as defined in Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) is likely to be disclosed.


Not applicable


Matters Arising

·         Events update

·         Security Contract

·         Ground maintenance contract

·         Oldway artefacts


·         Events update – KM advised that a press release was issued with regards to the open days planned for April.  KM advised he has been in contact with Natalie Palin with regards to the future events that Torbay Culture were hoping to hold. Future events will depend on the fire risk assessment. KM read out an email he has received with regards to fixing the issue with the current fire alarm and this will be actioned imminently. KM also read out an email received from our insurers with regards to the current insurance policy.   


·         Security Contract – KM advised that he has received an email from the new company with their proposal with regards to changing the security contract to reduce costs. CR commented that there is already a CCTV system located within Oldway which he believes is still in working order. KM advised that he will be speaking with the security company with regards to their proposal shortly and will feedback at next meeting. ACTION – KM 


·         Ground Maintenance Contract – KM summarised that Tor2 has been given notice to end their contract and this will change to an ordered service.  KM will be having discussions with the relevant officers as to how this ordered service will operate going forward.


·         Oldway Artefacts – KM read out an email received from Joseph Harvey regarding the artefacts currently stored at Torre Abbey. There is also a portrait currently stored in Oldway which requires to be removed to a more suitable location – ACTION – KM/LS



Budget Update


KM ran through the budget figures for the projected year end for 2018/19.


KM ran through the forecasted budget for the year 2019/20.



Fire Risk Assessment - update


Discussed in matters arising


Feedback on Open Day cancellation


CR advised that the main point he has with regards to the feedback is that the organisers did not put up any notices on the main front doors that the event was cancelled.



DCA Consultancy work - update


CR advised that the Oldway Trust application will be submitted with three trustees named – Chris Robson, Paul Hawthorne and Anna Tolchard. CR advised he is working with DCA on finding more trustees and believes that there needs to be an advertisement placed with regards to the skills required of potential trustees.  CR advised that he has asked Anne-Marie Bond to approve a draft Memorandum of Understanding for the Council to work with the Trust which needs to be submitted with the application – KM will chase this up with AMB – ACTION – KM


CR advised that a schedule of maintenance works has been submitted to him from DCA with regards to progressing the works required for the building and a business plan will be drawn up by DCA which will be required to be taken to full Council to be agreed.  CR advised that once this has been agreed than an application can be submitted to Heritage Lottery Fund for funding towards the works.  



Any other business


Nothing to discuss