Local News Card Index
This service provides an index to articles in local newspapers. The newspapers are mainly the Herald Express and Western Morning News, however, where articles have been traced in other newspapers e.g. The Brixham News, Mid Devon Advertiser and Totnes Times, these too have been indexed.
References to articles in various magazines containing information relevant to the local area are also included. (Please note the actual articles are not displayed, but may be held in the Reference Library's resources as hard copy or microfilm.)
The database has both current and historical content and roughly covers the geographical area of Torbay, but with some material on the South Devon area. The original index is based on a card file and is gradually being transferred to the database, however, a percentage of the index is still only available in card format available from Torquay Reference Library, therefore please contact us if you do not find what you are looking for.
- Card index can be searched using any of the fields on the left.
- You can use the precise word e.g. "school" or part e.g. "sch" and select from a drop down list.
- If you know the date of an entry you can limit the results to this date range.
- Perform the Query by clicking on the Search button on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on a Row from the Results, to View the full Index Card