The majority of children with special educational needs will have their needs met in mainstream school at SEN support without the need for an EHC plan.
We will also always seek to place SEN pupils who have an EHC plan in mainstream schools providing that:
- The school is suitable for the child’s age, ability and aptitude and the special educational needs
- The child’s attendance is not incompatible with the efficient education of other children in the school, and
- The placement is an efficient use of the LA’s resources.
The Council has a Strategic Policy for Inclusion which works to promote inclusion, reduce disadvantage and support potential learners into learning experiences. Torbay’s key principles of inclusion includes reducing the number of pupils with Special Educational Needs in special schools and ensuring that the number in mainstream school rises.
For further information:
If you would like independent information, advice and support, contact SENDIASS Torbay on 01803 208239.
If your child does not have an EHC plan, contact our school admissions team on 01803 208908.
If your child has an EHC plan, contact our SEN team on 01803 208274.8570
Checklist for visiting schools, both before and after a visit
Process for amending an ECHP at secondary transition phase
- School closures
- Find a school
- School term dates
- Apply for a school place
- Free school meals
- Home to school transport
- Information for schools
- Adult learning
- Complain about a school
- School governors
- Elective Home Education
- School Improvement
- Torbay Virtual School
- Medical Tuition Service Torbay
- School reporting forms
- Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Music Education Hubs