Children born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 will start secondary school in September 2023.
Apply online from 1 September 2022 for September 2023 admissions. You must apply by 31 October 2022. If you apply after 31 October your application will be considered as late and may be at a disadvantage.
Before you apply
It is best to take some time to think about which school would be best for your child. You should find out as much as you can about your preferred schools by:
- reading TIPS 8 - Primary and Secondary School Admissions
- contacting the schools to see their prospectus and looking at their websites
- reading the schools’ admissions policies
- talking to staff in your child’s current setting
- visiting the schools (phone first to make an appointment) or go to school open days or evenings
You need to take a test if you want to apply for a place at a selective school. You need to register and take the test before a place at the school can be offered.
All the schools use the same test and they are all taken at the same time.
Download a registration form on the school’s websites and return it to the school.
- Churston Ferrers Grammar School
- The Spires College
- Torquay Boys’ Grammar School
- Torquay Girls’ Grammar School
Applying for a place
You must register for an online account to apply for a Year 7 secondary school place.
- you should complete this form even if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan
- complete our form if you live in Torbay, even if you are applying for schools outside Torbay
- children who live outside Torbay need to apply to the council where they live eg Devon County Council
Apply by 31 October 2022. If you applied by this date you'll get your offer on 1 March 2023.
We won't look at late applications until the first round of allocations has finished.
You can choose up to three schools in your order of preference from one to three.
We will offer your child one primary school place. If a place was available at more than one of your preferences, the offer will be for the school that can offer a place which was your highest preference.
You may need to complete a supplementary information form for your preferred schools. You can get the forms from the school.
Your preferred school may prioritise the children of staff in their admission criteria. If you work at the school then you will need to fill in a form to tell the school about your child's application.
You must complete these forms as well as the main (common) application form.
- School closures
- Find a school
- School term dates
- Apply for a school place
- Free school meals
- Home to school transport
- Information for schools
- Adult learning
- Complain about a school
- School governors
- Elective Home Education
- School Improvement
- Torbay Virtual School
- Medical Tuition Service Torbay
- School reporting forms
- Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Music Education Hubs