If you are carrying out work or services to premises in Torbay and need constant access to your vehicle (i.e. where constant access to tools or materials in the vehicle is needed such as a carpet fitter where carpets are stored or a glazier where glass is stored) and need to park for longer than the permitted stay in a limited waiting bay or on a yellow line, you can apply in advance for a parking waiver (known as a Parking Dispensation Notice) for a specific location.
If more than one vehicle is required on site a separate dispensation should be obtained for each vehicle (subject to street space).
A dispensation is not intended for those who will not require constant access to their vehicle, such as a labourer who will work on site but not require bulky tools or raw materials from the vehicle. This person should seek to drop off tools and then park legally. Waivers are usually only issued to vehicles of transit size or over.
We have the authority to issue a dispensation which will allow a vehicle to park on a yellow line or in a parking bay for a specified period of time. We are also entitled to charge for dispensations and have set a charge to reflect the cost of providing this service.
You must apply and pay online with a debit/credit card payment. If you experience any issues when completing this form please contact us.
A minimum of one working day’s notice (Monday-Friday) is required for the issue of a dispensation notice and applications must be submitted before 4pm. Please note notices can not be issued for the same day.
All and any notifications asked for on the day will be declined.
A one off charge of £5 applies to each notice issued to cover the cost of the permit issued to you, and it costs a further £5 per day to cover enforcement of the scheme, up to a maximum charge per week of £25.
|Notice duration||Parking fee||Permit charge||Total cost|
- The Dispensation Notice must be displayed in the front windscreen of the vehicle which it is issued for. The details of the vehicle, the location the Dispensation is valid for, the time and date must be clearly visible to a Civil Enforcement Officer or Police Officer.
- The notice will only be valid for one vehicle at any time. If more than one vehicle is required on site then a separate dispensation notice for each vehicle should be obtained. Multiple copies will not be accepted and Penalty Charge Notices would be issued to each vehicle displaying the same notice.
- A brief statement must be given at the time of application stating the reasons the vehicle operationally needs to be at the location stated.
- There is a one off charge of £5 for the issue of each Dispensation Notice to cover the cost of the permit issued and it costs a further £5 per day to cover enforcement of the scheme, up to a maximum charge per week of £25. A week must be 7 consecutive days. Full payment is required in advance of the Dispensation Notice being issued.
- The vehicle is only permitted to park at or near the address stated. The Dispensation Notice does not guarantee a parking space at a specific location or on a specific part of the public highway. Where a suitable location to park at a stated address cannot be found, a Dispensation Notice will be given for the nearest suitable location following highway guidelines.
- The vehicle must not cause an obstruction to other road users or pedestrians and must not be parked (wholly or partly) on the verge or footway. All verge way or footway parking is strictly prohibited.
- Materials or goods must not be deposited on the footway or public highway so causing a Health & Safety hazard to other road users or pedestrians.
- The Dispensation Notice will be deemed invalid if it is changed or altered in any way.
- A Dispensation Notice is only valid for the vehicle it was issued for. If a different vehicle to the one stated on the Dispensation Notice is used, the Dispensation Notice will be invalid and a Penalty Charge Notice will be issued. If there is a change of vehicle details due to a breakdown, Torbay Council will re-issue a new Dispensation Notice with the correct vehicle details. This service will be free of charge.
- The vehicle must be moved on the instructions of a Police Officer, Civil Enforcement Officer, Torbay Council Officer or Utility Company Contractor in the course of their contracted works. If the vehicle is requested to move we are not required to offer any compensation or alternative parking place. If it is deemed necessary a Dispensation Notice may be withdrawn without notice by us on the instructions of Devon & Cornwall Police or our Highways department. Your contact details will be used in this instance to inform you.
- Civil Enforcement Officers employed by us will conduct inspections during the operation of the Parking Dispensation to establish the vehicle is being used for the purpose that the Dispensation Notice was issued.
- A Penalty Charge Notice will always be issued where the terms of the Dispensation Notice are not complied with.
- No refunds will be given for unused Dispensation Notices.
- A Dispensation Notice may be withdrawn by the Council at any time with notice given to the owner of the Dispensation Notice.
- All vehicles issued with a Dispensation Notice must have a valid MOT certificate, hold a valid road fund license, and hold the relevant insurance certificates.
- Torbay Council reserves the right not to issue any Dispensation Notice where the vehicle involved has outstanding Penalty Charge Notices issued to it.
- All data collected from the issuing of Dispensation Notices can be used in conjunction with any Council reporting or part of a Police investigation.