If you want to make alterations (including to demolish, or to alter or extend in a way that would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest) to a listed building (including flats) you will need listed building consent and planning permission in its own right from us.

If you require further advice about a listed building email our Historic Environment Team or visit the English Heritage Images of England Opens in a new window website.

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window and check if a site is listed.

Do not use this form if the proposal only requires listed building consent and does not require planning permission in its right. 


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal.

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a paper application form Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.


Use the calculator on the Planning Portal to work out the fee for this type of application. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

  Calculate a planning fee Opens in a new window