A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of national historical or architectural interest. If you want to make alterations to a listed building you need consent from us but you do not need planning permission.

If you need further advice about a listed building please email our Historic Environment team - conservation@torbay.gov.uk or contact Historic England Opens in a new window.

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window.

Do not use this form if the proposal also requires planning permission in its own right, instead either an application for householder and listed building consent or planning and listed building consent must be made.


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal.

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download the listed building consent application Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.


There is no fee for this type of application.