While it should be possible in most cases to decide if a proposed project qualifies as permitted development (PD) there will inevitably be instances where the decision is less clear cut.

If there is any ambiguity or question over whether your proposal passes the permitted development tests you have a number of options. It may, for instance, be possible to alter your plans to ensure they meet PD limits and conditions.

For peace of mind you may choose to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC). This is not the same as planning permission but is proof that your household building work is lawful.

This option is well worth considering even if you are sure your project is permitted development. If you should later want to sell your property an LDC may be helpful to answer queries raised by potential buyers or their legal representatives. As such, it is important that all paperwork and records relating to your property are clear and up to date. 

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window.

Please note that a Certificate of Lawfulness does not imply that any building works have conformed to current Building Regulations (the laws covering the health and safety of building works). Where Building Regulations apply to any works already undertaken we would advise you to apply to have the works inspected retrospectively by a Building Control Officer. This is usually done through a ‘regularisation’ application.


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal.

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us. You will need to supply your address then select the form Lawful development: Proposed use


You can also download help text and guidance notes to assist in completing the application form


Use the calculator on the Planning Portal to work out the fee for this type of application. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

  Calculate a planning fee Opens in a new window