Use the applications form for extensions and alterations within the boundaries of an existing residential dwelling (not a flat) which require planning permission in its own right and also require Listed Building Consent. Listed Building Consent may be required for internal works as well as external changes.

You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply:

  • You want to demolish a listed building;
  • you want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest.

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building. Check the position carefully with the us - it is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without getting it first.

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window.

Do not use this form if planning permission in its own right is not needed. If only listed building consent is needed then an Application for Listed Building Consent should be made. This includes creation of new dwellings (including the division of a single dwelling into two or more flats), if any business use is involved such as bed and breakfast accommodation or residential care homes, extensions or alterations to flats or maisonettes - these would all require an application for ‘Full Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent’.


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal.

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a householder and listed building application Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.


The fee for a Householder application for works or extension to a dwelling is £206, the Listed Building consent aspect of this application carries no charge. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

Why must clear plans be submitted?

All applications must be accompanied by plans that clearly illustrate what the application is being made for.

All applications must be available for third-party inspection and if your application is not accompanied by sufficient plans of a good enough quality then the application cannot be validated. For this reason we strongly advise all applications to be made with the help of a planning professional such as an architect.

Please note that, for copyright reasons, we cannot accept unauthorised copies of plans submitted with a previous application.

What plans and documents should be submitted with this application?

The requirements for what should be submitted with a planning application are set by the Government at national level (set out in the Development Management Procedure Order) and also by the Local Planning Authority. The plans and documents required for each application type (both at Government and Local level) are listed on the Local List page.