This type of application is for extensions and alterations within the boundaries of an existing residential dwelling (not a flat) which require planning permission in its own right and also require permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area.

If you live in a conservation area, you will need planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area to demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions - you can get further information from us - to demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing more than one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or more than two metres high elsewhere.

There are certain exemptions from the general requirement (circular 01/01 Opens in a new window) to seek planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area for the demolition of buildings in conservation areas.

Do not use this form for: extensions or alterations to flats or maisonettes - these would all require an application for ‘Full Planning Permission and Conservation Area Consent’; if any business use is involved such as bed and breakfast accommodation or residential care homes; the creation of new dwellings including the division of a single dwelling into two or more flats.


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal.

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a householder and conservation area application Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.


The fee for a householder application for works or extension to a dwelling is £206, the Conservation Area consent aspect of this application carries no charge. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

All applications must be accompanied by plans that clearly illustrate what the application is being made for.

All applications must be available for third-party inspection and if your application is not accompanied by sufficient plans of a good enough quality then the application cannot be validated. For this reason we strongly advise all applications to be made with the help of a planning professional such as an architect.

Please note that, for copyright reasons, we cannot accept unauthorised copies of plans submitted with a previous application.

What to submit

The requirements for what should be submitted with a planning application are set by the Government at national level (set out in the  Development Management Procedure Order  Opens in a new window ) and also by the Local Planning Authority. The plans and documents required for each application type (both at Government and Local level) are listed on the Local List page.