This type of application should be used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house. It should be used for projects such as:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window and the new local plan and also check the requirements for different types and locations of development proposals on the local and national requirements page.

Do not use this application:

  • If you also need conservation area or listed building consent.
  • For the creation of new dwellings (including the division of a single dwelling into two or more flats).
  • If any business use is involved such as bed and breakfast accommodation or residential care homes.
  • For extensions or alterations to flats or maisonettes - these would all require an application for ‘Full Planning Permission’.


You can submit your application to us online via the Planning Portal. 

  Apply online Opens in a new window

Visit the online applications page for information on how to submit plans and documents when applying online.

Paper applications

You can also submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a householder planning application Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.


The fee for a householder application for works or extension to a dwelling is £206. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

Additional information

All applications must be accompanied by plans that clearly illustrate what the application is being made for.

All applications must be available for third-party inspection and if your application is not accompanied by sufficient plans of a good enough quality then the application cannot be validated. For this reason we strongly advise all applications to be made with the help of a planning professional such as an architect.

Please note that, for copyright reasons, we cannot accept unauthorised copies of plans submitted with a previous application.

What to submit

The requirements for what should be submitted with a planning application are set by the Government at national level (set out in the  Development Management Procedure Order  Opens in a new window ) and also by the Local Planning Authority. The plans and documents required for each application type (both at Government and Local level) are listed on the Local List page.