If your development involves the demolition of any building (dwelling houses and non-dwelling houses, Listed Buildings, buildings in a Conservation Area, buildings which are scheduled monuments) you will be required to determine whether prior approval is necessary for the demolition.

Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window.


You can submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.

  Download a prior notification of proposed demolition application Opens in a new window

You can get help to complete the application form on the Planning Portal Opens in a new window.

Important - When you submit your application for a Prior Notification Approval you will also need to display on site a completed copy of the Neighbour Notice.

  Download a demolition site notice


Use the calculator on the Planning Portal to work out the fee for this type of application. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.

  Calculate a planning fee Opens in a new window

Additional information for applicants

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by the council, if you follow this advice:

  • You may need to notify Building Control.
  • Statutory undertakers should also be notified in order that they may arrange for their services to be properly sealed.
  • Deal promptly with any complaints received on site.
  • Keep noise, dust and smoke to a minimal level so as not to cause a statutory nuisance.

In order to minimise obstructions and damage to pavements please:

  • Do not let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements.
  • Do not leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they could cause an accident.

We may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.

For further information or advice on demolitions enforcement contact Building Control.

Your demolition may require the erection of scaffolding. If so you will be required to submit a scaffolding and hoarding licence.

If you require the installation of utilities (gas, electric and water) and require a road closure please note that you will be required to submit an application for Road Closures and Diversions to general traffic.