Recent legislation has brought about some changes to the need for planning permission for certain changes of use under the Prior Approval scheme. Where a development complies with the provisions of the classes within Part 3 planning permission is not required but the developer is required to make an application to us for a determination as to whether the prior approval of the authority will be required.
Before making an application read the guidance notes Opens in a new window to be aware of the conditions and limitations which may apply.
You can submit your application by downloading and completing an application form and sending it to us.
Prior approval of change from storage or distribution buildings to dwelling application (Class P) - This form is no longer available as the permitted development right that required it expired on 10 June 2019.
Use the calculator on the Planning Portal to work out the fee for this type of application. Visit the paying your planning fees page for more information on how to pay your fees or if an exemption applies.
The following links provide the detailed legislation:
- (in particular paragraph W.)
When we process the application we will:
- Give notice of the application either by serving a notice on any adjoining owner or occupier or by placing a site notice which gives the site address and a description of the proposal and which specifies the date by which representations are to be received by the local planning authority
- Undertake consultations and take into account representations we receive relating to flood risks on site and transport and highways impacts of the development ( )
The development must not begin before the occurrence of one of the following:
(a) the receipt by the applicant from the local planning authority of a written notice of their determination that such prior approval is not required;
(b) the receipt by the applicant from the local planning authority of a written notice giving their prior approval; or
(c) the expiry of 56 days following the date on which the application was received by the local planning authority without the authority notifying the applicant as to whether prior approval is given or refused.
- The development must be carried out:
(a) where prior approval is required, in accordance with the details approved by the local planning authority;
(b) where prior approval is not required or when no notification from the Local Planning Authority has been provided, in accordance with the details provided in the application, unless the local planning authority and the developer agree otherwise in writing.
- The local planning authority may grant prior approval unconditionally or subject to conditions reasonably related to the subject matter of the prior approval.
Full details are available at.