We operate a one stage complaints procedure. Your complaint will be investigated by either an officer within the relevant department or by the Information Governance Team.

In some instances your complaint may be handled differently and we will tell you if this is the case. This might happen if:

  • There are legal proceedings.
  • You have a separate right of appeal e.g. where a planning decision is involved or a decision about Housing Benefit entitlement etc.
  • Your complaint concerns Children’s Services and comes under the Children’s Services Complaints and Representations Policy.

We define a complaint as a customer letting us know they are unhappy with;

  • The quality and/or standard of service provided,
  • The quality of information and/or advice given,
  • Our failure to comply with procedures, rules, statutory obligation or published service standards.

This definition encompasses a wide range of issues that can be considered as a complaint. However, the Complaints Procedure excludes situations where an officer nearest to the point of service delivery resolves the query within 48 hours, such as a missed refuse collection or a telephone call not being returned immediately or where the complaint falls outside of the Complaints Procedure e.g. if it is about Children’s Services or a request for a service.

Complaints Procedure
The procedure on how we deal with complaints about our services.

If you would like to make a service request, please select one of the following options or search our website:

​When making your complaint please provide as much information as possible.

  Make a complaint

Complaint investigation

Your complaint will be investigated by either a Complaint Investigation Officer or by a Senior Officer within the department. Where a complaint is investigated by a Senior Officer within the department, the Information Compliance Team will then review the investigation and respond to you. A complaint investigation should take no longer than 20 working days, however, if the complaint is complex in nature then this may be extended to 30 working days. We will advise you of any extension to the deadline.

If you feel the problem is still not resolved

If you are still not satisfied after we have investigated and reviewed your complaint, then you can refer your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.