Our office is open Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. If you become homeless or are at risk of violence when we are closed, we operate an out of hours service. This service is for emergencies only and is not able to give general advice. You can contact them on 0300 456 4876. If you are in danger you should call the police on 999.
If you have a hearing impairment, you can contact the out of hours service on 07810 54 8004.
If you have nowhere to stay tonight or your accommodation is not safe for you, for example because of domestic violence, we will see you the same day.
If you are homeless or if you’re worried you might lose your home the earlier you talk to us, the better chance we have of being able to help you.
You may need to supply evidence to the Housing Options Sections regarding a housing case. Submitting your documents online is the easiest and quickest way to provide your evidence. You can take screenshots or photos of any document you need to provide and upload them using our online form. This saves you having to take your documents to Connections or posting them to us. Read our guide for more help on submitting your documents online.
How we can help
We can help you by:
- Talking with you about possible solutions to your housing needs.
- Give you free, impartial and confidential advice (unless we feel that you are in a danger and then we will have to share information about you with our partners to help keep you safe).
- Try to support you to stay in your own home
- Support you to find alternative accommodation.
Our service can give you information, carry out case work, advocate on your behalf and signpost you to other relevant services.
Worried about someone sleeping rough?
If anyone is concerned about a rough sleeper in Torbay, the Council has a team of dedicated Resettlement Workers who can be notified. This team perform outreach and will make contact with the rough sleeper and coordinate appropriate help working across the Council, community partners and any other relevant organisation. The Team forms part of Torbay’s Rough Sleeper Initiative (RSI) programme from central government.
- The Resettlement (outreach) Team can be contacted by emailing email@example.com for any information regarding people rough sleeping. This email account is monitored Mon – Fri during office hours.
- Out of hours help can be reached on 0300 456 4876 or if you think the rough sleeper is in danger call 999.
- The location of a person sleeping rough can also be reported via StreetLink by visiting Streetlink, or by calling 0300 500 0914.
Problems paying your rent
If you’re struggling to pay your rent, take action straight away. Speak with your housing provider or landlord and explain the situation. Get advice from theand/or a debt advisor.
You may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent if you have low income.
If you cannot afford the shortfall between your rent and your Housing Benefit you may be able to get extra help through Discretionary Housing Payments. These are short term awards and should not be relied on as a permanent additional income.
- Worried you might lose your home
- Your landlord has asked you to leave
- Join the housing waiting list through Devon Home Choice
- Emergency and Temporary Accommodation
- Renting a home
- Advice for landlords
- Advice for homeowners
- Refugees statement
- Moving home
- Finding a home
- Upload your documents to Housing Options
- Electrical safety standards
- I need a housing inspection to ensure my home is safe
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Energy efficiency