A long term empty home is defined as 'an unoccupied property substantially unfurnished for a period of six months or more'.
If you own an empty home you have options. You can repair the property for renting and receive a rental income or sell it on the open market through a reputable estate agent.
We have powers to compulsorily acquire a house that has been empty for some time.
We have a range of incentives for both landlords and potential owner occupiers, to help bring long term empty properties back into use.
You can find out more information on how council tax is affected by an empty property on our council tax page.
Please tell us if if you know about a long term vacant property so that we can work with the owner to bring it back in to use.
- Worried you might lose your home
- Your landlord has asked you to leave
- Join the housing waiting list through Devon Home Choice
- Emergency and Temporary Accommodation
- Renting a home
- Advice for landlords
- Advice for homeowners
- Refugees statement
- Moving home
- Finding a home
- Upload your documents to Housing Options
- Electrical safety standards
- I need a housing inspection to ensure my home is safe
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Energy efficiency