One You is a ground-breaking new campaign to help adults in Torbay avoid future diseases caused by modern day life. Everyday habits and behaviours - such as eating too much unhealthy food, drinking more than is recommended, continuing to smoke and not being active enough - are responsible for around 40% of all deaths in England, and cost the NHS more than £11 billion a year.
‘One You’ aims to encourage adults, particularly those in middle age, to take control of their health to enjoy significant benefits now, and in later life.
In the South West:
- 16.9% of adults smoke
- 24,584 deaths are attributable to smoking
- 64.2% of adults are classified as overweight or obese
- 59.4% of adults are physically active
- 2,415 deaths were alcohol related
Latest figures show that life expectancy at older ages is at record levels, yet many are spending their retirement living in ill health. Currently fifteen million Britons are living with a long-term health condition, yet studies show living healthily in middle age can double your chances of being healthy when you are 70. Here in Torbay there are opportunities to improve our health in a range of ways.
Us, the Healthy Lifestyles Team Opens in a new window and other local partners are working together to create local offers and opportunities as well as motivate you to improve your health and wellbeing. To get started, try the ‘How Are You opens in a new window’ quiz and get your unique score as well as find out what you can do, after all there is only One You.
- Protect someone from harm
- Independent living
- Looking after someone
- Residential and nursing home care
- Your health and wellbeing
- Public health
- Health information video library
- For Care and Support Providers
- Torbay Care Charter
- The Care Act
- Healthwatch Torbay
- Western Rise Serious Case Review
- Cleanliness in hospitals
- Notification of out of area care and support placements