The Society of Later Life Advisors Opens in a new window (‘SOLLA’) has specialist independent financial advisors registered with them, who have undertaken training and registration specifically in this area of work. The Department of Health has recommended the use of SOLLA accredited
practitioners, some of whom are based in Devon.

The government’s Money Advice Service website has tips and help in later life Opens in a new window to plan ahead for a time when you can’t manage your own finances.

Planning for future care needs

Many of us will need care and support at some point in our lives and most people will pay something towards the cost of their care. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family, so you can stay healthy and independent for longer. 

Having access to advice and information is important, to ensure that you and your family have a good awareness of what is available, to enable planning and preparation for future care costs.

For people who are over 50

Age UK can provide a range of advice information to support you, and can also signpost you to other services which might be of help to you.  They have a local office in Torbay, which can also provide information, advice and advocacy; as well as support services. They can be contacted on 01803 841832 or via the Age UK Torbay website.

For people who have a Learning Disability

Mencap provides advice and support around social care, housing, benefits and more; and signposting to local groups. Call their helpline on 0808 808 1111 or visit the Mencap website.

For people with a Disability

Torbay Disability Information Service (DIS) offers information designed to support self-care and independence for people with disabilities and carers living in Torbay (TQ1-TQ5). No referral is required and the service can be freely accessed. Contact them on 0300 456 8373.