If you can't make decisions for yourself about your social care needs we will discuss these with your relatives and/or someone who holds a Power of Attorney Opens in a new window on your behalf. Alternatively, the Court of Protection Opens in a new window may have appointed someone to act on your behalf. 

Independent advocacy

We will always act in your best interests. If there is no-one to act on your behalf, we must arrange an independent advocate to help you with this self-assessment process if you have difficulty:

  • Understanding relevant information
  • Remembering information
  • Using or weighing information (for example being able to see the advantages and disadvantages in different options)
  • Communicating your views, wishes and feelings. 

An independent advocate is a trained professional who can help you to express what you want to say, and make sure that the end result of the assessment reflects your wishes.

The advocate may also suggest a face-to-face assessment if they think that self-assessment is not right for you.

There are a number of advocacy services in Torbay.

  Find an advocacy service Opens in a new window

If you need help to find an advocate please contact us on 01803 219700.