The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) is carrying out an electoral review of Torbay Council.
The aim of the electoral review is to recommend ward boundaries that mean each councillor represents approximately the same number of voters. They aim to ensure that the pattern of wards reflects the interests and identities of local communities as well as promoting effective local government. In order to achieve these aims, they need to re-draw ward boundaries across Torbay.
Torbay Council submitted proposals to the LGBCE in February recommending that the Council should retain 36 Councillors. Their submission can be viewed at Council on 23 February 2017 Opens in a new window.
The LGBCE is minded to recommend that 36 Councillors should be elected to Torbay Council in the future and is inviting proposals from the Council, interested parties and members of the public on a pattern of electoral wards to accommodate those Councillors.
Further details about the review are available on their website at www.lgbce.org.uk Opens in a new window.
The outcomes of the review have now been through Parliament and an electoral changes order now made. It’s on the legislation website - The Torbay (Electoral Changes) Order 2018 No. 740.
- 13 June to 14 August 2017 – consultation on new boundaries
- 3 October to 11 December 2017 – consultation on draft recommendations
- 6 February 2018 – final recommendations published
- May 2019 recommendations implemented at next full Local Government Elections
Letter formally announcing the start of the first consultation stage on warding patterns in the electoral review of Torbay Council.
Letter to the Chief Executive informing the opening of the consultation.
LGBCE Press Release 13 June 2017
- How the council works
- Get a job working for us
- Get in touch
- Voting and elections
- Finance and budgets
- Plans, policies and strategies
- Information and data
- Honorary Freeman of Torbay
- Brixham Town Council
- Pay an invoice
- Performance Management
- Achievements and awards
- Fraud within or against the council
- Fit for the future
- 0-19yrs Integrated Commissioning Project
- Community Governance Review of Torbay