Each year we send a canvass form to all residential properties to check who is eligible to register to vote. We then publish the revised electoral register on 1 December.
This year you will receive an email or a letter from us. These communications will be staggered with some forms and emails going out in mid-August, the remaining forms will go out in mid-September. Please read the communication carefully. If you are required to respond and do not reply then we will send you a reminder. Canvassers are then required to either visit or telephone properties where a form has not been returned.
This year's canvass, which we have to carry out by law, is taking place during a challenging public health situation. When you are contacted, if you need to respond then please do this as soon as possible. It will make sure the process runs smoothly. It also means there will be no need for additional contact, which is particularly important at the moment.
Wherever possible, you should consider responding:
- by telephone
- by text message
How to respond
Read the information in your letter or email carefully to:
- check whether or not you need to respond
- that all the information is correct
It's quicker to respond using online or text options. You'll need your unique two-part security code printed on the form.
Some properties only need to reply if there's a change. Your property form provides more information.
You can reply:
- online at www.householdresponse.com/torbay
- by phone 0800 197 9871 at any time and enter your two-part security codes when prompted
- by text or SMS to 80212 and in the message type NO CHANGE followed by your security codes
- by post, make sure you complete the form fully, provide all of the information requested and that you have signed the form
What happens next
The form lists everyone currently registered to vote at the property and we use this to update the information on the electoral register.
By completing and returning the form you are not registering to vote, only informing us of the names of the people who should be on the electoral register at the property.
- ADD someone to the form, they'll be sent an 'Invitation to Register Form' so that they can register to vote
- DELETE anyone from the form, we will write to the individual to confirm they no longer live there
Special category electors
Your name will not appear on the form sent to the property if you're a special category elector, such as a service voter or overseas elector.
About the Electoral Register
The Electoral Register is not published in the months of October or November during the Annual Canvass. The revised register will be published on 1 December 2020. This is a statutory requirement.
If you have any questions about the form or your electoral registration, you can:
- How the council works
- Get a job working for us
- Leader of the Council
- Get in touch
- Voting and elections
- Finance and budgets
- Plans, policies and strategies
- Information and data
- Civic Mayor
- Brixham Town Council
- Pay an invoice
- Performance Management
- Fraud within or against the council
- 0-19yrs Integrated Commissioning Project
- Preparing for Brexit
- Achievements, Honours and Awards
- New Town Councils