We have had to change the way that some of our service operates to meet the guidelines set out by the government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic and to provide additional support for those affected.
We would like to warn you about dishonest people and companies that may be operating in our area. They could phone or even call at your home.
They try to get you to give them your money by:
- Telling you that you are definitely in the wrong council tax band and say they can help you appeal against this banding for an up-front fee
- Saying they are employed by us or the valuation office and you are due a refund of council tax and ask for your bank details so they can pay the money to you, they will then take money from this account
- Telling you that you must, by law, be represented by an agent to appeal against your banding, when you can do this yourself or anyone can help you
- Telling you that you must pay a fee to challenge your band when this is free
Tips to avoid being scammed
- Never disclose your bank account, credit card or personal details to people you don't know
- Be suspicious of letters, phone calls, or emails that you are not expecting asking you to send money
- If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is
- Never ring an 090 number unless you're certain how much the call will cost and what you are likely to receive
- Don't send money off just because a letter seems official, scammers often use this trick
- Don’t let anyone into your home without seeing appropriate identification
- Don’t feel under pressure from a cold-caller to pay an immediate up-front fee
Things you should do
- Tell the police if you think someone is impersonating our staff or valuation office employees
- Dial 999 if a cold caller refuses to leave your home
- Contact your local Trading Standards if you feel you have been the victim of a scam
Check your council tax banding
If you think your banding for your home is wrong, all you have to do is contact the Valuation Office Agency Opens in a new window and explain why you think it is incorrect.