Coronavirus Latest information and updates
Feedback Help us to improve our website

Staying safe in hot weather. Find out how to protect yourself and others in the summer months.

To help us process the estimated 55,000 payments for eligible properties over the next few months, please do not phone or email us as we will update this page as soon as we have further information.

The government announced a council tax rebate of £150 to help people with the rising cost of energy bills.

Households living in properties in council tax bands A to D will get the rebate. Band E properties that have a Council Tax Disabled Band reduction will also get the rebate.

You won’t need to pay back the rebate.

Second homes or properties empty on 1 April 2022 in council tax bands A to D, will not get the rebate. If someone else (e.g. your housing association or us) pays your council tax then you will not get the rebate.

If you moved house after 1 April you need to claim for the property you lived in on that date.

  Check your council tax band Opens in a new window

Discretionary fund

There will also be a discretionary fund to help residents most in need of support. It will support households in bands E to H who are in need. We'll give you more information on how to apply for this soon.

How you will get your payment

Direct debit payers

If you have recently set up to pay your Council Tax by direct debit you will get the £150 paid into your bank account within 28 days of your first Council Tax instalment.

Due to the final deadline for making payments to Council Tax payers, in order to receive an automatic payment a direct debit must be set up with the first instalment scheduled to be taken by 25 August 2022. Automatic payments will be then be made within 28 days of the first direct debit instalment being taken.

Due to the closure of the scheme, anyone who sets up a direct debit with their first instalment after 25 August 2022 will receive their £150 rebate as a credit against their Council Tax bill, therefore reducing the remaining amount to be paid. A revised bill will be sent to you once the rebate has been applied to show your new monthly instalments.

Non-direct debit payers

If you don't pay by direct debit you will need to apply for the rebate. You can ask us to pay the £150 into your bank or you can have it taken off your council tax bill. Having it taken off your bill could mean you have higher payments for the rest of the year.

When you apply we’ll need this information:

  • Your council tax number - you can find this on your bill. Order a copy bill if you don't have one.
  • A bank statement dated within the last three months that shows:
    • your name
    • address
    • bank sort code
    • account number

To help us manage this work we will be taking applications on these dates:

  • Band A on 9 May 2022
  • Band B on 6 June 2022
  • Band C on 27 June 2022
  • Band D on 27 June 2022
  • Band E with disabled band reduction on 27 June 2022

  Apply for the £150 council tax energy rebate

To get your payment without applying please sign up to pay by direct debit.

If you do not apply for the £150 payment we will contact you after 1 July 2022.

What happens next

We will do some pre-payment checks before we pay you to make sure the right person is being paid and to stop any fraud. We may also need to contact you to ask for more information before we can pay you.

Please do not contact us to chase your payment, we will be in touch with you.

If you have a question about the rebate please contact us.

  Ask a question about the £150 council tax energy rebate

How to stop your bank using a council tax rebate to pay off an overdraft

If you have an overdraft you can ask your bank not to use the rebate it to pay it off. This is called your ‘right of appropriation’. It means you can use the payment for essential bills like your gas or electricity.

You will need to write to your bank to ask them to do this. You can download a sample letter to help you with this.

Financial support

You must still make the payments shown on your most recent council tax bill once you get the payment. If you are worried about paying your bill visit the behind or struggling with your payments page for advice.

Council tax rebate scams

We're aware there have been reports of council tax scams in relation to the £150 council tax rebate.

If you receive a phone call asking for your bank details in exchange for the £150 rebate, do not pass these on. Report scam text messages by forwarding them to 7726 for free or contact Action Fraud.