Attendance at nursery school or nursery class gives children a valuable introduction to school, helping them to develop positive attitudes to learning and to mix easily with other children. Here in Torbay we have numerous private day nurseries, as well as nursery classes based in primary schools.
Day nurseries offer full day care for children. Some providers offer trips and outings depending on the facilities within the provider. Most day nurseries offer funded places for 2, 3 and 4 year old children. Day nurseries can provide 15 hours of free childcare for three and four year olds.
- Ofsted registration: Must be registered, check their latest inspection report
- Age range: Usually between 3 months and 5 years
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday all day, usually between 8:00am and 6:00pm but sometimes opening hours are longer than this. Care is usually offered all year round except Bank Holidays and some may close for a week over Christmas.
- Cost: Costs vary between each provider and depend on which sessions you would like. A full day is often around £30. You will need to check what is included in the price as you may be charged for extras such as meals and nappies in addition to the cost of the session
Nursery classes at a school
Nursery classes are usually attached to an infant or primary school and usually only provide the free 15 hours early education for 3 and 4 year olds although you may be able to pay for extra hours if there are spaces available. They are sometimes referred to as maintained nurseries. Attendance at nursery classes does not guarantee a place for your child at the school.
- Ofsted registration: Inspected as part of the school’s registration
- Age range: Children can attend from the start of the term after their 3rd birthday
- Opening hours: During term-time only
- Cost: Free for up to 15 hours, you may be able to pay for extra hours
Applying for a place
Contact the nursery or pre-school directly if you want apply for a place.
- Adopt a child
- Become a foster carer
- Family Information Service Directory
- Get help for a child at risk
- Services and support
- Find a social work job
- Strategies and policies
- Complain about children's social care
- Private fostering
- Child employment
- Peninsula Commissioning and Procurement Partnership