Food Safety legislation requires you to write down in simple terms what you do and what records you will keep to make sure that your food is safe to eat.
Under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme if you do not have a documented food safety management system then you will not score any higher than a rating of 1 (Major Improvement Necessary).
The Food Standards Agency has developed a FREE pack called Safer Food, Better Business (SFBB) to help small catering or retail business to set up a documented food safety management system. It is made up of safe method sheets and a diary.
- The safe method sheets highlight things that are important to make sure food is prepared and cooked safely and asks you to write down how you do things. They also provide advice on what to do when things go wrong.
- The diary is signed every day to say that the safe methods have been followed. There is space to note anything different that happens or goes wrong.
You can print out the new print-friendly version of the diary refill separately if you only need that part of the pack.
Alternatively you can now buy a Safer Food Better Business pack or year’s diary refill at a competitive price from us including postage and packing.
- SFBB pack plus a year’s diary - £20
- 1 year’s diary refill £5
Alternatively call 01803 208025 and have your card details ready for payment.
There are a number of SFBB packs available that are designed to meet the needs of specific food businesses such as caterers, retailers, childminders and specialist cuisine. These are available in other languages.
Bed and Breakfast Businesses
We have also produced a simplified SFBB pack for ‘Bed and Breakfast Businesses and for Low Risk Production on Domestic Premises’. This pack is for you if you operate a B&B from a domestic property or produce food from home on a small scale, for example cake making from home.
A small scale would be considered to be:
- 10 or fewer at any single meal or
- less than 20 meals per day for high risk foods, or
- the production of low risk food on an infrequent basis.
If you are already using SFBB for caterers you can continue to do so, but you may want to use the new style diary sheets from this new pack.6900
For some larger businesses, your documented food safety management system may need more detail than is provided for in SFBB. HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Opens in a new window) is a system that helps food business operators look at how they handle food and introduces procedures to make sure the food produced is safe to eat. Have a look at the Managing Food Safely booklet for more information.6901
A guide to developing your documented Food Safety Management System
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses